To respond to question 1, about the idea model:

Update 12 says:
12 – IDEA IN BASE
Since it’s not clear if the light bulb slab is part of the “box” mission
model, you may bring this part to Base. (Rule 2 related mission ruling)

Rule 35 discusses what the Robot Operators may do with items in Base.

There are several requirements for the Apprenticeship model
1.  It has to be made entirely out of LEGO-manufactured elements (Rule 17)
2.  If the team wants to send it out of Base, then it has to fit completely
within Base (Rule 38, plus Rule 39 for start/restart position, Rule 11 for
the size of Base, Rule 35 for more complex interactions.)
3.  The Apprenticeship mission requires that the model "represents a skill,
achievement, career, or hobby that has meaning for your team".
4.  If the team wants to score 35 points for delivering the Apprenticeship
model to the circle by the scale, then the team has to be able to bind the
two mission model people to it.

Note that Update 7 allows the Apprenticeship model to be pretty large, if
the team just wants to keep it in Storage.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC Referee Advisor