Hi Kelly,
Oh yes, they are definitely useful!  You can never ever have too many
LEGOs!  We add our model pieces into the bin and they get reused to make
all kinds of things, to build the robot, to make attachments, to build
models for your research presentation, for Core Values challenges, to build
aligners, and more.  You will find lots of great pieces in previous year
kits.  Also, if any of the models are still even partially together and
have any moving parts, have the team members examine them closely and see
how the moving parts work.  The gears, etc, and how they go together may
give them some ideas of how they might want to use moving parts on their
robot or in their attachments.

We also have a separate large Rubbermaid bin of LEGOs that we use for
outreach and when we do workshops and activities at the library for
example.  So that is a good use for some of them too.

There is also an FRC team, Sparky, that collects previous year's kits or
any LEGOs and runs programs for kids in Richmond, Haiti, and now other
countries too.  You can read about them here:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__va-2Ddcfll.org_helping-2Dlego-2Dteams-2Din-2Ddeveloping-2Dcountries_&d=BQIBaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=G2Aj-kLWG9OT7AmO9Iy7gRY4Fy1O2_H4a_Vr0K6ZTFo&s=3Fyq49KT3LvBLcCTF_CjBzsChYbJh2YYbr3CK77nISE&e=

You could donate any you don't need to them.

Good luck!

Sonya
Coach of the Brick Dawgs