I've been an FLL coach/mentor since 2008 for all my children's FIRST teams.  My oldest (who started with FLL in 4th GR) is now a junior in HS (in an FRC team) and I can tell you that no matter how experienced a student or team is -- they are never really ready by tournament time for all the challenges given each season -- and this is true for all the FIRST programs from Jr. FLL to FRC.  This is actually was is unique and exciting about FIRST.   It's a new challenge every year...there's always something new to learn and explore.

I would encourage all rookie FLL teams -- whether you started meeting in May or are just forming your team now -- to make every effort to participate in one of the FLL qualifying tournaments this November.  An FLL tournament...in fact, any of the FIRST tournaments, is a celebration.  View the tournament as a way for your team to share what they've accomplished this season. It is in our FIRST Core Values to recognize all accomplishments (big and small).

Also, I encourage all teams to NOT make it a goal to get an award.  The truth is that not everyone will get an award.  One of the most common questions asked by judges at tournament is "What type of problems did your team encounter during the season and how did you handle it?".  When judges ask questions like this...they are more interested in the process (how did your team deal with the situation) rather the results (was it resolved or not).  That is because the emphasis in a program like FIRST is the experience.

So for all the rookie FLL coaches out there who are worried about November....remember that the second letter in "FIRST" stands for INSPIRATION.  Your goal now is to inspire these young minds to continue even if things don't go the way they initially planned.  It's a life skill that goes a long way beyond their years with FLL.

I'm looking forward to cheering for all of you this November.

With high 5's and great admiration,

Angie Fontanilla

Senior Mentor, Washington, DC, FIRST
V (703) 405-2912 (C)