Your screws are definitely too long if that's the case.  There should be no
screws sticking out. It sounds like you already purchased your plywood, but
if you're looking for a slightly more portable solution, I highly recommend
the table featured in this video:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.youtube.com_watch-3Fv-3D1qbbpkCmQAw-26index-3D5-26list-3DPLNvVpKcZhzomQPurExVcU2S0m282taycF&d=BQIFaQ&c=eLbWYnpnzycBCgmb7vCI4uqNEB9RSjOdn_5nBEmmeq0&r=J5fb0ELkRoh7TzAGYz99sSMvB-c7i4AC0HDT2OVPrww&m=Iq_s-cpDh_uMfncxEKtpualmLt3SHE3O8ZrGqVMSrL0&s=zmAFVbAvvTzrYw7xHljeesvcMbzksclj0JWRMyGEc40&e=

We built it 2 weeks ago, and it's really nice.  If you (or anyone else on
the list) has questions about how to build it, feel free to contact me
off-list.  Total cost (including a doweling jig) was just under $200.  Not
included in that figure is a power drill and a circular saw.

-Frank