Here is some information to help you prepare for judging.

Judging Rubric

Judges use a rubric to score teams in the judging rooms.  The rubric for all judging rooms can be downloaded at http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Official_Event_Info/combined-rubrics-2015.pdf.   At the end of the tournament, you should receive a copy of the rubric for your team.   To prepare, have your team review the rubric.

Team Information Sheet

For each judging room, have a Team Information Sheet.  You can find the template at http://www.firstlegoleague.org/sites/default/files/Official_Event_Info/TeamInfoSheet-fixed-12-2-11.pdf.  The team information sheet helps the judge remember the team.   Also, judges love it when teams introduce themselves.

Project Judging Room

For Project, you will have 5 minutes, including setup time, to present your solution.   After you present, there will be a 5 minute Q&A.

Robot Design

This is an opportunity for the team to discuss and demonstrate their robot.  Plan for a 10 minute judging session.  There will be a mission table setup for the team to use.  Teams should be prepared to run missions and discuss how they built and programmed their robot.  I would highly recommend having some program print outs.  Not all of your programs, just what you want to highlight.  If your team chooses to prepare a technical notebook that shows the evolution of the strategy, robot and programming, that can be beneficial.

Core Values

For Core Values, teams will be given a challenge and less than 5 minutes to conduct the challenge.   After the challenge, there will be a brief Q&A session.  There is very high probability the team will be asked about Gracious Professionalism, Core Values and Coopertition™.

Judging Rooms

Judging sessions are closed sessions.  The team plus 3 observers (two coaches/mentors and one historian are allowed to observe).  You can just send in the team and no observers.  To demonstrate core values, teams should be silent while waiting outside a judging room.  Judging rooms are typically class rooms.  You will need bring in all your presentation supplies.  (Note, Robot Design will have a mission table setup.  You do not need to provide mission components.)

Helpful Resources

www.eepurl.com/bpeH5j - StartingPoints Weekly Core Values Challenge Newsletter

www.ev3lessons.com – great team resources

www.techbrick.com  - worksheets, printable mat and elements images

www.masteringlegorobot.com  - Shared lessons and resources from an experienced coach and judge

www.fllstartingpoint.com – Shared lessons and resources from an experienced coach and judge.

www.va-dcfll.org/teams/team-resources - VA-DC FLL Resources Page

I hope you find this information useful.  First Lego League is a community of volunteers and there are many people and resources for teams.    If you have questions about judging, please contact me at [log in to unmask].  If the answer to your question is likely to benefit the group at large, I will respond via the list serve.   I would also encourage you to volunteer at a tournament.  Volunteering to judge is one the best ways to learn.  Sign-up to volunteer at http://va-dcfll.org/volunteer/volunteer-form/.

Scott Rakestraw

Judge Advisor