PID is good when you have non-straight lines, because it will react to the 'D' term as the line starts to turn away.  In practice, PID is not easy to program (correctly) in EV3.  I have tried.  It also requires a level of math that my team has not learned yet.  They're in 5th grade now... maybe next year.  I do think that PID would be good for straight line driving using the gyro.  For almost all normal FLL tasks, just doing 'P' will get you where you need to go.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:44 PM, Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks.. Great resource. :)

Still didn't see any pure PID straight line tutorials though.. although I DID like the "straight line" tutorial and how it used degrees.

:)

Tweeks

From: Todd J Lennox <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 1:04 PM
To: Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Any good EV3 Code Examples for a Straight Line PID program?

Try EV3 lessons. They have some really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 20, 2015, at 12:35 PM, Thomas (Tweeks) Weeks <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I've seen a few videos and sites talking about PID based line following and balance bot applications.. but our kids just want to see a good example of straight line PID code (without trying to teach them calculus).

I can do this in C, but I'm not savvy enough with the mindstorms GUI tools to show them how to do it in Lego.

Tweeks