Tournament referees will generally try to keep the competition mats clean, as described in the Field Setup on page 15

  • Field Mat – Make sure the Mat touches the south Border Wall, and is centered east to west. Avoid cleaning the Mat with anything that will leave a residue. Any residue, sticky or slippery, will affect the Robot’s performance compared to a new Mat (many tournaments use new Mats). Use a vacuum and/or damp cloth for dust and debris (above and below the Mat).

Most competition tables are set up the night before a tournament, or possibly the morning of the event, so there shouldn't be much time for condensation to occur.  If a referee saw liquid water on a mat, I would expect that he or she would try to clean it away.  In my experience, we're much more accustomed to dealing with dust than water.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor