Skip,

Let me start out with a big thank you for coaching a FLL team.

Let me give you some of my insights into core values judging (I have been a core values judge in the past).

The direct answer to your question is "yes" it is more important how your team accomplishes any task during core values judging that if or when they complete the task. I instruct my judges to pay more attention to the interaction between the team members and to ignore the actual task being performed.

If I can go "off script" a bit, let me give you my personal thoughts on core values judging (please read my words carefully):
In my opinion, the best preparation for core values judging has little to do with explicitly conducting core values exercises with your team. Core values preparation is best done by fostering an environment as a coach in your practices which is conducive to the team using core values. If your team embraces core values during their practices and during their everyday life, it will naturally come out during the core values judging. Core values is very important and often not given the priority it should. Ten, twenty and thirty years from now, your team members will likely not be applying the lessons that they learned on how to program a robot. I guarantee you they will be using the core values that you have instilled in them as they work on an engineering design team, a hospital operating room, a non-profit board meeting etc..

This might be a good time for me to mention one of my favorite references for FLL Coaches, the FLL Coaches Handbook! http://www.firstinspires.org/resource-library/fll/coaches-handbook Guess what is on page 2?
I recommend you read The Core Values, starting on p. 26. and then read the rest of the handbook (it is very useful).

Best of Luck and, above all, Have Fun!

Bill