Moving the manhole covers out of the black circles is not a penalty. It just won't score points even if flipped if it is completely outside.  Field damage is addressed in R17:

R17 - FIELD DAMAGE • If the Robot separates Dual Lock or breaks a Mission Model, Missions obviously made possible or easier by this damage or the action that caused it do not score.

The penalty for field damage (separating dual lock or breaking a mission model) is not a -5 penalty.  In that circumstance the penalty would be that you do not earn the points for that mission, but ONLY if the mission was made possible or easier due to that action.  But remember the benefit of the doubt rule GP3:

GP3 - BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT - If the Referee (Ref) feels something is a “very tough call,” and no one can point to strong text in any particular direction, you get the Benefit Of The Doubt. This good-faith courtesy is not to be used as a strategy.

Although not a strategy to rely upon, if it is a tough call on whether field damage made a mission possible or easier the discretionary call should go to the kids. The robot technician should advocate for the team before signing the scoring sheet.

We had this happen last year during a run where the automated milking machine broke, but it made the mission harder if not impossible to complete yet we did.  Our technicians explained this and GP3 to the referee who consulted with the head referee and granted full points for the mission.

Hope this helps,

Vince Shier
iBOT Brainiacs