I am the coach of Lord of the Bricks, and this is our 8th year competing.  My advice is to just pay it all out there!  Not every project actually involves a design.  Take a look at the judging rubric to get more information/understanding of what the judges are looking for; even the "Solution Development" portion of the rubric's Exemplary category simply includes "Implementation considered."  No one is expecting these kids to be NASA, for sure!  I would suspect that simply having a solid idea of what would be needed to develop the process more fully would show that the team has researched the problem in depth enough to know what would NEED to be done next.  Thinking back to the years that we've won, it has generally been the depth of the research that has pushed it over the top.

If it's something they are passionate about, they should really continue digging into the problem on a longer-term scale.  Many teams have done this, and gone on the patent and/or develop their ideas.  Additionally, they should consider tackling the FLL Innovation Challenge in the Spring!