Hi Frank

A prototype is a just a simulation of the actual product which doesn't really have to be working.  In the past when I had coached a team, kids had acted out the solution in some scenarios where the kids did not actually have the expertise to build the real thing. In one of the projects they created a vacuum from watching youtube videos to simulate their product which makes it cool for judging. If its a product then it can be built using styrofoam/thermocol which looks like the actual product but might not have all moving parts but could have some moving parts like say a moon landrover. Prototype could be built on wheels but the antenna/solar panel would be fake and had to be manually moved etc..

Its always cool to see a working gadget as Judge but then again certain things can only be conceptual. I would add to say of i was judging and I had 2 teams where both had a good concept and 1 team that had a working prototype it would have an advantage over the other team :(

Thanks
Amit Govil
Ex-coach (Doggy Dooers/ Recycling Simplified)