I'm not sure where your competition is, but ours are always free and open to the public.  The judgings are closed; but the robot rounds worth the watching!  My kids' parents usually like to stay and watch.  It is often helpful to have someone around when you have kids - especially younger kids  - in an open environment.  Plus, the competitions are generally pretty laid-back.  MY kids usually have a fair amount of free time on their hands.  They usually spend it checking out other teams, roaming, and playing together.  The competition that we frequent has a huge tree out front.  My kids take the opportunity every year to climb that tree and play around/near it when they are on breaks!  I generally require a buddy system so that no kid is left alone and unaccounted for.  Your mileage may vary!