This year our team found it "better" to use odometry.  In the past, we have used light sensors with calibration programs.
Note:  One year the lighting in the gym created a glare on the mat and our robot went out a foot from base and then just turned in a circle.  Our light sensor programs did not work until later in the day when the sun moved to a different angle.  Since then we used shielded light sensors and had much more success.
Respectfully,K. NiedzialekFLL coach (6 years)

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Levine <[log in to unmask]>
To: VADCFLL-L <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Fri, Nov 9, 2018 10:04 am
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Light Sensor - Reflected Light Intensity variation - Question

My team totally gave up on the gyro - the 3* accuracy was just too inconsistent.  They found that with the right tires, odometry is definitely "better" for them.
I can also confirm that shielded light sensors work pretty well.  We've used them every year (and will be using them this year too)
-Frank