Hello Coaches and Teams,

  For Virginia-DC FLL, we'll allow whatever is permitted by the City Shaper
Challenge, when it is released on August 1.  That doesn't help a lot, I
know.

  I can say that various FLL regions participated in a pilot last year that
allowed just about any programming language that could program the
Mindstorms.  There were a couple of variations, such as whether third-party
libraries were allowed, but overall, the outcome was that there was no
competitive advantage of one programming language over another.  So, I do
expect that most programming languages will be allowed for the upcoming
Challenge, with few restrictions.  (Your team still won't be allowed to use
remote control during a match!)

  Since I am a software person myself, I think that it would be a great
opportunity for interested teams over the next five weeks to try out
another programming language to control their robot, and to compare and
contrast what might be easier or harder than the software that the team is
used to.  That will give team members who like programming some insight
into how the tools that you use can change how you approach different
programming challenges.

  No matter what programming languages are allowed in 2019, I'm confident
that the largest amount of help and community support for EV3 programming
will still be the LEGO Mindstorms software.

Steve Scherr
Virginia-DC FLL Referee Advisor