Rob, Jordan & teams,

The way you would use more motors than ports is if your removable attachment incorporated a motor.  The motor limit specifically prohibits exceeding the total number of motors at the table, regardless of what’s currently plugged into the EV3.

Henry

(Judge Advisor for Blacksburg tournament, FLL coach from way back)

From: First Lego League in Virginia and DC [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rob Walters
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 2:54 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Robot Design - Medium motor

Correction on my previous post.  The game rules on page 7 of the game guide specifically limit the number of motors to 4; however, you may use an unlimited number of sensors.  Using more than 4 will require a port splitter and possibly a more advanced programming language.  I do not know if LEGO makes a port splitter for the EV3 brick (they do for NXT).  If not, the kids may be limited to four (4) on EV3 bricks by the rule " Use any LEGO-made building parts in their original factory condition".

One question I see often is about which programming languages are allowed now that there are many nice alternatives available including Python (text) and Scratch (block).  It appears this year we can use any software we want to based on the rule also on page 7 as long at the robot moves autonomously.

" You can use any software that allows the Robot to move autonomously – meaning it moves on its own. "

Makes sense since if PRIME had shipped on time it would have supported Scratch.

It is going to be an interesting season.  Good luck!