I would avoid using nail polish, unless it was made by lego :)

I would use lego colored rubber bands on the wires, and colored lego
stickers on the EV3. In the past, there were rules specifically against
lego stickers, but I don't see it this year. Remember, the stickers (and
all lego equipment for that matter, except string) must be in original
factor condition, so you can't cut the sticker.

While it does say you "may mark parts for identification on hidden areas",
I always took that to mean "identification" as in team name, phone number,
robot number (for teams with multiple robots), etc. Not really for
identification for what wire goes where, but that could be a valid argument
made with a ref. Hard to say.