There have been some comments (which I do appreciate) about the downfalls
of giving solutions in lieu of the better process of letting the kids work
through the issues on their own.

I am assuming you will use this knowledge to help the kids reason through
what is going on and thus provide this suggestion (which of course may be
wrong since I made some assumptions).

I am assuming you are using a loop that basically "says": follow the line
until motor encoder shows rotations > X?
What is the value of X before it starts doing the 2nd line following?
Perhaps they can output this value to the screen or "watch" it when they
are running the program (or just think through it and see that the initial
conditions may not the same at the beginning of your 1st and 2nd line
following attempt).

In other words does it stop because it has already exceeded the rotations
the line-following-loop is expecting?  If so do you need to reset the motor
encoder (rotation counter) before the 2nd run?

Jeff