Phil:
I have the book, and have made it available to FLL 4th and 5th graders over the last few years.  There generally is enough detail to build the contraptions that are presented.  This year some kids built a claw from the ideas in the book but did not end up using it in competition.  I think it is thought provoking in a general way - most ideas in the book not ideal for FLL.

If you have a relatively advanced student specifically looking to get better at FLL I think the following book is great:
https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Design-MINDSTORMS-Patterns-Competition/dp/1484221044/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=winning+lego+designs&qid=1575917655&s=books&sr=1-1

The NXT version was recommended by an experienced coach a few years ago, and the link above is for the newer EV3 version which is basically the same. Though I think it is best used by a relatively advanced, really eager 5th grader.  I had one student read it cover to cover but that is the exception.  I am going to capitalize on the post-States high to try to get some of my team this year to read it to think about next year, but won't push too hard, because like I said it might be best for someone really invested in doing well at FLL (though of course may of the lessons good for robotics in general).

Hope that helps.

Best,
Jeff