Folks,

I think there are a variety of circumstances.  There are both schools and community groups with a great resources and dedication.  Similarly there are school and community groups with fewer of both.  I think it a difficult space to navigate to start separating the two.  Does a team that is not sponsored by a school, but meets in a school count as a school or a community group?  Is a team that is facilitated as part of home schooling count as a school or community group?  I am sure there are more such examples.

I think there are already a fair number of rules that prevent resources on their own being a determining factor in the competition.  ( e.g. limits on motors in events, rubric's etc)  This is not to say that differences don't emerge (e.g. the one that started this thread)  My experience is that a team can only spend as much time as the kids want to constructively commit to the effort.   If a team does well because they spend more time than mine, then I tip my cap to them.

David

---- On Thu, 03 Sep 2020 13:55:34 -0400 Loriann Pawlik <[log in to unmask]> wrote ----

Hi-
I'm just going to chime in - not adding fuel to any fire - but something for FIRST to consider.  It might be time to start an add on category just FOR community groups.  School groups are limited in their time to practice and in funds for their needs.  It has been mentioned for years now that community groups can meet more often and sometimes have more resources than school-based groups- which may give an advantage to those outside of schools.  So, in the spirit of gracious professionalism, why not just add a category during competitions FOR community groups.  Everyone still is able to compete - just like we do with the different age categories now, but the playing field is more equitable.
Just a thought-
Lori Pawlik

From: First Lego League in Virginia and DC <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ilnitzki, Kaitlin - ilnitzks <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, September 3, 2020 9:41 AM
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: [VADCFLL-L] Discovery age group

Hi Bryanne

You are in correct in that the only way to purchase the Discover Set right now is through the class pack option.  I know this can be frustrating for community-based organizations.  We have brought that feedback to FIRST, but I will be sure to reiterate the frustration, because your point is valid and I don’t think you are the only organization in this position.

Aside from coupling with another organization, there are not many other options.  I do have a few ideas, but I will connect with you separately off the ListServ.

Kaitlin Ilnitzki

Assistant Director

VA+DC FIRST LEGO League