Hi Craig,
In my OPINION, I do not think you can use the water units for the missions
like Power to X, etc (I am not a referee). Page 25 is pretty clear with the
pictures and labels for the energy units and the water/looped water units,
and the missions are pretty careful with their wording by saying "energy
units" where they are used. Personally, I wouldn't try something like that.

Skip