The criteria for FLL eligibility are different from the divisional rules. In the U.S. and Canada, FLL participants must not be younger than 9 years old or older than 14 as of January 1 of the year the Challenge is released - not based on grade at all.

Someone who was 15 years old on January 1, 2023 would not be eligible to compete regardless of their grade. A 13 year old currently in 9th grade would be eligible to compete in FLL (in division 2 in VA+DC FLL).

(I think that exceptions are at least theoretically possible, but I don't know what VA+DC's policy is on that or if they're ever given.)