For a Special Issue of Hypatia: A Journal of Feminist Philosophy

FEAST: Current Work in Feminist Ethics and Social Theory

Edited by Diana Tietjens Meyers

This call is for the first of two FEAST special issues to be hosted by Hypatia.  This issue will appear in January-March 2010.

In keeping with the FEAST sponsorship, the broad theme of this issue is feminist ethics and social thought, and all FEAST members are invited to submit their work.  At the 2007 conference, we had a wonderful array of theoretical and applied papers.  Conference themes included the following:

                     virtue ethics

                     care ethics

                     responsibility

                     violence and bigotry

                     testimony and story-telling

                     justice and ethics in interpersonal relationships

                     international justice and human rights

                     terrorism and national security

                     stem cell research

                     sex, gender, power, and solidarity

                     Beauvoir and Arendt

Throughout the conference and in diverse ways, speakers underscored the relations between theory and social processes and between power, experience, and moral philosophy.  I would like this special issue to mirror the scope, as well as the depth, of what FEAST members are contributing to philosophy.  The themes I have listed illustrate the range of conference papers.  Submissions on other topics in feminist ethics and social thought are welcome.

Deadline September 1, 2008.  In preparing your paper, please follow the Hypatia guidelines for contributors:  http://www.msu.edu/~hypatia/.  Starting July 1, 2008, the Hypatia office will move to the University of Washington, where the email address will be [log in to unmask].  When you submit, please make sure you use the following subject line:  FEAST special issue, January-March 2010.  To ensure that there’s no confusion, please also send me an email letting me know the title of your paper:  [log in to unmask].

Diana Tietjens Meyers

Professor of Philosophy

University of Connecticut

Storrs CT 06269-2054