I respectfully disagree Hilde. I don't think they are odious, unless they are meant to imply that sexism is "worse" than racism, or that Americans (or whoever) are more enlightened concerning race than they are about gender. Comparisons do not necessarily imply a hierarchy of oppressions. Personally I find the comparisons useful in understanding the distinct workings of various forms of oppression, and I believe it's important and beneficial to track the ways that racisms, gender oppressions, and other forms of xenophobia are distinct and not necessarily parallel or even similar. How can feminists of any race or ethnicity and anti-racists of any gender not be fascinated by the different treatments of (masculine) race and (white-privileged) gender by the U.S. media monster, in relation to the Obama/Clinton showdown? If analyses of such differences are oversimplified or they become a way of downplaying the significance of one form of harm rather than another, that's a problem (perhaps this is the criticism of Warner?). But it seems to me that  to refuse to compare would be to miss a very rich philosophical/political opportunity. And I don't know many thoughtful people who are not comparing, and drawing important lessons for future progressive politics, if there is such a future in this country.

Chris

On Jun 8, 2008, at 8:19 PM, Hilde Lindemann wrote:

Thanks, Gaile Jr., for saying what I wanted to say myself. These comparisons are odious and they hurt people.
Best,
Hilde

At 02:47 PM 6/8/2008, you wrote:
Yes, indeed.

I wonder what people think about the chances of Obama’s success, given the hard and deep reality of racism in the US.  Is this country really ready to elect a black president?

Joan

From: Feminist ethics and social theory [ mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Janine Jones JCJONES2
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 2:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: FW: NYTimes.com: Judith Warner: Woman in Charge, Women Who Charge

And piggy-backing on what you say here, Gail (thanks for your comments), a lot of racist comments directed at Obama and his voters/supporters were not conceivable as such, for the reasons you give.  Front certain viewpoints it was absolutely clear that Obama dealt with a great deal of unnamed, dare I say unnameable racism.  In postings a couple of weeks ago Sarah Hoagland made reference to the construction of ignorance. (She was referencing Charles Mills, who is concerned with certain forms of cognitive dissonance.)  I think that leaving things unnamed, making them unnameable -- e.g. certain forms of racism -- is one of the key ways in which ignorance is constructed.   As you say, racism and sexism operate in different ways.  Going hand-in-hand with Mills project one might ask both why certain forms of racism are unnamed, they have become unnameable, and what are the effects of the kind of ignorance thereby constructed.