Dear Feasters,
	Community (or publically) supported child care for kids of working
mothers has been an issue in the West since the beginning of the
second wave.  Recently it has been recognized as a global development
issue, in light of the world-wide massive entry of women into the
work force.
	I am working on possible connections between the enormous amount of
early good work done on this issue by feminists in the west, and the
situations of women in developing or poor countries, particularly in
the area of "justification" for public support of such programs.
	Of course, I am aware of excellent work on the issue of "care" by
feminist philosophers in politics and ethics (Joan Tronto, etc.).
	Here is an hypothesis I am wondering about, and would greatly
appreciate any references (or opinions) from any of you:
		HAS THE GROUND SHIFTED regarding gender justice and child care FROM
women's equality (e.g. access to public life or pursuit of individual
aspirations) or women's rights (e.g. right to work), TO economic
arguments and benefit to children, or...?  Does anyone know of recent
work discussing child care for children of working mothers as a
feminist issue?
	With thanks,  Lynda

Lynda Lange
University of Toronto at Scarborough