*Please distribute widely to anyone who might be interested*

Positions Advertisement

San Francisco State University

Two Tenure-Track Positions: one in Metaphysics and Epistemology
(broadly construed), and one in 18th/19th century history of
philosophy, effective Fall 2009

Rank: Assistant or Associate Professor

Salary: Competitive, commensurate with qualifications. Generous
health, retirement and other benefits, including domestic partner
benefits

Requirements: Ph.D. in Philosophy, or all doctoral requirements
completed by 8/1/09.  Demonstrated potential for publishing research.
Should be able to teach critical thinking.

AOS/AOC: One position requires AOS in M&E, broadly construed to
include Philosophy of Mind/Philosophy of Language; the other requires
AOS in 18th/19th century history of philosophy. AOCs open, but we have
special interest in Cognitive Science, Philosophy of Biology, History
of Ethics and Political Philosophy, Philosophy of Law, and Race Theory.

Duties include scholarly research, with high-quality publication
expected. The successful candidates will assume important roles in
supervising master's theses, advising, committee service, and
curricular development. The University provides opportunities for
support of both research and teaching projects. We value collaborative
work among philosophers and with scholars in other fields.

The Department of Philosophy offers a rich array of course offerings
for our degree programs and for general education. The Department
awards two B.A. degrees (in Philosophy and in Philosophy and Religion)
and the M.A. degree (in Philosophy); and minors in Philosophy,
Philosophy and Religion, and Religious Studies. Additional information
can be found on the Department's web site: http://www.sfsu.edu/~phlsphr/employment.html
.

San Francisco State University, a large urban university, is part of
the 23-campus California State University system serving a diverse
student body in liberal arts, sciences, and professional programs. The
University does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex,
sexual orientation, disability, national origin, or religion.

Application: Send a current curriculum vitae, an application letter
(with email address), at least three letters of recommendation,
writing sample, and evidence of potential for successful teaching and
scholarly achievement.  Qualified individuals wishing to be considered
for both positions should so indicate. Review of applications begins
in mid-October 2008 and will continue until the positions are filled.
We will interview at the 2008 Eastern Division APA meeting and will
invite finalists to campus.

Direct all applications and inquiries to:

Hiring Committee

Department of Philosophy

San Francisco State University

1600 Holloway Avenue

San Francisco, CA 94132

N.B.: The SFSU Philosophy Department would welcome adding a senior
philosopher in the next few years, AOS/AOC open, with a vigorous
publication record and/or expertise in securing external funding, who
can be an effective role model for our tenure-track faculty.  We would
be happy to learn about individuals who may be interested in such a
position.

Dr. Ásta Sveinsdóttir
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
San Francisco State University