Islamic Association of Shenandoah Valley

Islamic Center of Shenandoah Valley

1330 Country Club Road

Harrisonburg, VA 22802

http://www.iasv.org

Dear Community Members:

Assalama Alekum:

As announced by the Fiqa Council of North America, Ramadan begins on Monday, September 1, 2008. Please visit http://www.iasv.org to download a copy of Ramadan schedule. We have the following plans during Ramadan:

1.     Isha/Traveeh prayers begins at 9:30 PM on Sunday, August 31. Starting time will change every week to be consistent with sunrise and sunset schedule.

2.     We plan community Iftar programs every Saturday and Sunday during Ramadan. We invite you to join us for potluck dinner  on these two nights. (please bring generous quantities of food and drinks to share with other community members). JMU/EMU/BC students are invited as community guests.

3.     Several members of the community are planning to do Iftar at the mosque during the week. Feel free to join us.

4.     Directions to the Islamic Center are posted at http://www.iasv.org

FIQH COUNCIL OF NORTH AMERICA ANNOUNCEMENT FOR RAMADAN 1429 AND EID AL-FITR

Ramadan 1429:  September 1, 2008

The Astronomical New Moon for Ramadan is on Saturday, August 30, 2008 at 19:58 Universal Time (i.e., 3:58 pm EDT, and 12:58 pm PDT). According to the criteria adopted by the Fiqh Council of North America, and European Council for Fatwa and Research, [the conjunction before sunset and moon setting after sunset in Makkah] first day of Ramadan is on Monday, September 1, 2008.

Eid al-Fitr 1429: October 1, 2008

The Astronomical New Moon for Shawwal is on Monday, September 29, 2008 at 8:12 GMT, 4:12 am EDT, 1:12 am PDT). According to the criteria adopted by the Fiqh Council of North America, and European Council for Fatwa and Research, the first day of Shawwal is on Wednesday, October 1, 2008.