Dear FEAST Members – I would like to put together a workshop proposal for the FEAST 2009 conference on “Feminism in the Classroom.”  This is a call for workshop panel participants.

Ideally we would have panel members who have a diversity of experience bringing feminism into the *undergraduate or graduate* classroom, including: teaching feminism in ‘regular’ philosophy classes, designing and implementing a feminist-friendly philosophy curriculum, or leading feminist-inspired initiatives on campus that bring philosophy to ‘the street.’   (It might be fruitful to have a member of the panel that can voice his or her hesitations regarding teaching feminism, as well.)

Some opening questions the workshop might address include:

-Should feminism be incorporated into every course?

-What are the self-, departmental-, or administrative-pressures against feminism in the classroom?  How to combat these pressures?

-What sorts of pedagogical approaches or activities are feminist at heart?  Ideas for translating those philosophical commitments into action in the classroom?  Specific ideas for lesson plans?

-What is the best response to students who are hostile to feminism?  To students who don't feel comfortable discussing feminism?  To students who only want to discuss personal experiences without making connections to philosophy or feminist theory?

-What can be done to promote feminism at the (undergraduate or graduate) program level?

-What does feminism’s recognition of multiple and intersecting forms of oppression (such as sexual, gender, race, and ability oppressions) mean for feminism in the classroom today?

If you are interested in forming this workshop proposal, please send me an email off-list describing your interest by November 8 or so.  [log in to unmask]

Thanks - Lisa

Lisa Cassidy, Ph.D.
Treasurer, Eastern Society for Women in Philosophy
Associate Professor of Philosophy
American and International Studies
Ramapo College of New Jersey
505 Ramapo Valley Road
Mahwah, NJ 07430
PHONE 201-684-7416
FAX 201-684-7973
OFFICE B230
OFFICE HOURS FALL 08:
Tuesday 2-3 PM and Wednesday 2:30-3:30 PM or by appointment
website: http://phobos.ramapo.edu/~lcassidy/