I agree with everyone that there are clearly still some serious civil rights struggles to be fought in the wake of this election (including recognition of and benefits for same-sex couples and families and including universal health care that doesn't tie this most basic of rights to any kind of marital or partnership status or even to employment).  But, on the good news front--as I refuse to abandon my optimism this week!--Obama is showing early signs of working towards taking glbt struggles seriously, as reported by the palm beach county human rights council below.  (And, yes, this doesn't begin to address the political hot potato of recognizing glbt partnerships and families--but it is still quite remarkable, given that no other president has dared to do even this much, to my knowledge.)
Shelley

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Palm Beach County Human Rights Council <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Subject: Obama Administration to Ban Discrimination Against GLBT Employees in Executive Branch
To: [log in to unmask]

PBCHRC Logo
Thank you for your interest in the Palm Beach County Human Rights Council.

From time to time, we will send information which we hope you will find useful.
______________________

BOARD OF DIRECTORS

RAND HOCH
  President and Founder
DEIDRE NEWTON
  Vice President
DANIEL S. HALL
  Treasurer
RAE FRANKS
  Secretary
MICHAEL BAKST
JAMIE T. FOREMAN
W. TRENT STEELE
Quick Links

Join Our Mailing List
Make a Donation with PayPal
[log in to unmask]&image_url=http://pbchrclogo.jpg&return=http://www.pbchrc.org/donatesuccess.html&cancel_return=&item_name=Donation%20to%20Palm%20Beach%20County%20Human%20Rights%20Council&amount=0&shipping=0&currency_code=USD&item_number=&cmd=_xclick" target="_blank">
Obama Transition Team Includes Ban on Discrimination Against GLBT Applicants for Jobs in the New Administration

Transition Team Protects Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity in New Administration's Non-Discrimination Policy

November 8, 2008

The Obama-Biden Transition team has included both sexual orientation and gender identity in its non-discrimination policy for applicants for employment in the incoming Obama administration.

Although President Bill Clinton signed Executive Order 11478, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, there are no explicit federal protections from gender identity bias in government hiring.

"By including sexual orientation and gender identity in its non-discrimination policy, the Obama-Biden transition team makes clear that it will focus on the relevant qualities that actually predict an applicant's success on the job - professional experience, character, skills and education," said Christopher Anders, Senior Legislative Counsel of the American Civil Liberties Union.  "President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden, by explicitly rejecting the bigotry and intolerance of the past, are committing that gay, lesbian, and transgender professionals can serve in government without fear of discrimination."

"In light of the Obama transition team's inclusion of both sexal orientation and gender identity in its hiring policies, the Palm Beach County Human Rights Council is hopeful that the next Congress will pass a gender-identity inclusive Employment Non-Discrimination Act," said Council President Rand Hoch.

To view the Obama-Biden Transition Non-Discrimination Policy, click here.

The Palm Beach County Human Rights Council is dedicated to ending discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.

The Council promotes equality through education, advocacy, direct action, impact litigation and community outreach.

Palm  Beach County Human Rights Council
Post Office Box 267
West Palm Beach, Florida 33402
(561) 845-6545

www.pbchrc.org               [log in to unmask]

Safe Unsubscribe
This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask].
Palm Beach County Human Rights Council | P. O. Box 267 | West Palm Beach | FL | 33402

--
Dr. Shelley Park
Department of Philosophy