From: Pakistani American Leadership Center (PAL-C) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pakistani American Leadership Center (PAL-C)
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2009 6:32 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Inaugural Opportunity for DC Students

banner

PAL-C Press Release

Inaugural Opportunity for DC Students
January 9, 2009

PAL-C Headquarters, Washington D.C., USA

Board of National Directors

Mossadaq Chughtai         Pervaiz Lodhie         Dr. Rafiq Rahman         Dr. Maqsood Chaudhry

Mariam Issa          Arif Zaffar Mansuri           Dr. Raza Bukhari           Saquib Khaan

PAL-C Provides Inaugural Opportunity for DC Students

WASHINGTON D.C., January 9, 2009 - The Pakistani American Leadership Center (PAL-C) would like to provide our members with an opportunity for their children to participate in the historic Inauguration of President-Elect Barack Obama by competing in the essay contest below. We received the opportunity to participate just this afternoon and while realizing that the deadline is very soon (11:59p.m. Sunday, January 11th) we encourage all DC-area middle and high school students to participate. We would also kindly request that you help PAL-C get the word out to other DC middle and high school students you know.

Some suggestions for essay topics include:

  • "Greening" or creating ways to make our neighborhoods more environmentally-friendly.
  • Pairing youth in the community with senior citizens to take down their oral histories and learn from their life experiences.
  • Initiate and lead a neighborhood clean-up and flower or tree-planting campaign.
  • Get your neighborhood designated as an Official Urban Wildlife Sanctuary.
  • Create a directory of neighbors willing to volunteer or offer their services free to other neighbors including painting, mending fences, and neighborhood watches.

We wish you and your children the best of luck!
Sincerely,

Taha A. Gaya
Executive Director, PAL-C

Inaugural Committee

Dear Taha ,

This Inauguration, President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden are calling on all of us to renew America's promise. They believe that this renewal begins with service to our own communities, service that can begin at any age.

Do you know a student who's active in the D.C. community? What about one who would like to attend the inaugural parade and have seats right in front of the White House?

You can help him or her be there.

We're asking students throughout Washington, D.C. to answer in 500 words or less, "How can I contribute to my neighborhood through community service?"

Submit that student's essay and he or she could be among those selected to attend the inaugural parade.

Here are the basics: the essay must be written by a D.C. middle or high school student. It should be 500 words or less, and the student's parent or guardian must submit the essay by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, January 11th.

We will select over 100 essays that offer interesting ideas on service. The student, a parent or guardian, and one other guest will come to the inaugural parade and sit in prime seats: in front of the White House, right next to the presidential reviewing stand.

At every inaugural, after the swearing-in, the new president joins a parade down Pennsylvania Avenue, from the Capitol to the White House. He invites marching bands, dance troupes, military units, and other organizations to be part of the parade.

It's a tradition that illustrates the best of America -- people from across the nation coming together to celebrate the promise of the next four years.

Help a student in your life be there to see it by submitting his or her answer to the question, "How can I contribute to my neighborhood through community service?"

www.pic2009.org/dcstudentessay

To comply with legal guidelines, we ask that you be sure it is the parent or guardian who submits the essay on behalf of the student.

The day before the Inauguration, the Obama and Biden families will join other Americans in renewing a commitment to service in our communities. Thousands of students will be part of that effort.

Help a student get to the inaugural parade, too.

Thank you,

The Presidential Inaugural Committee

P.S. -- Tickets to the inaugural parade will go on sale at 1:00 p.m. today, Friday, January 9th. With or without a student essay, you can be a part of history.

This email was sent to: [log in to unmask]

PAL-C welcomes your feedback and strives hard to better serve the Pakistani American community. Please feel free to give us your feedback on the newsletter, suggest improvements, and please provide any thoughts on PAL-C's efforts.

We also ask that you contribute so we may continue to offer these types of services and advocate on your behalf for your rights, your interests, and so that your children may see a better and brighter tommorrow here in America.

Sincerely,

Safe Unsubscribe

This email was sent to [log in to unmask] by [log in to unmask].

PAL-C | 236 Massachusetts Ave., NE | Suite 207 | Washington | DC | 20002