Dear All,

Please find attached a call for papers for the Nov 2009 issue of the Ecological Humanities in the Australian Humanities Review.

The issue will focus on the role and dimensions of writing in the Anthropocene.

Please forward the invitation on to any other relevant lists.

Thanks very much.

Thom

--
Dr Thom van Dooren

Chancellor's Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
University of Technology, Sydney (UTS)
PO Box 123
Broadway NSW 2007
Australia

p: +61 2 9514 2735
e: [log in to unmask]

Foundation Member, Ecological Humanities Group
http://ecologicalhumanities.org/vandooren.html

Ecological Humanities / Australian Humanities Review

Call for papers for the November 2009 issue:

‘Thinking about writing for the anthropocene’

In the last article that she wrote before her death, Val Plumwood spoke passionately about
the role of writers in our current time of crisis. She called for poets and other writers to join in a
rethinking that “has the courage to question our most basic cultural narratives.” In particular,
she called for writing that is “open to experiences of nature as powerful, agentic and
creative, making space in our culture for an animating sensibility and vocabulary.” This, she
says, is a major task facing the humanities today. (forthcoming, ‘Nature in the Active Voice’,
Australian Humanities Review, issue 46).
The November issue of Ecological Humanities in the Australian Humanities Review is
dedicated to articles that explore the role and dimensions of writing in this time of
environmental change. We are seeking articles that take up this broad theme, and in
particular those that question or analyse the kinds of writing that are capable of shaking up
our culture, and awakening us to new and more enlivened understandings of the world, our
place in it, and the situated connectivities that bind us into multi-species communities.
Deadline for submission: 1 May, 2009
Electronic submissions are welcomed. Please send documents formatted with double
spacing. All submissions will be refereed by two academic referees.
For further advice for contributors, or to offer submissions, please contact the Ecological
Humanities editors:
Deborah Rose ([log in to unmask])
Thom van Dooren ([log in to unmask])
***
The Australian Humanities Review is Australia’s oldest and most prestigious on-line humanities
journal. Since 2004, each issue has contained a section dedicated to the ecological humanities.
For further information, please visit http://www.ecologicalhumanities.org/ejournal.html.