Diotima: A Graduate Conference for Feminist Philosophers

University of Western Ontario

September 18-20, 2009

CALL FOR PAPERS

This conference aims to bring together graduate students from across
North America who share an interest in feminism, post-coloniality,
queer theory, critical race theory, philosophy of disability and anti-
oppression theory in general, regardless of their primary area of
research.  In doing so, we hope to encourage philosophical scholarship
that is influenced by these forms of inquiry, while promoting them as
legitimate areas of study within philosophy.  The conference will
provide support for socially conscious graduate students by fostering
connections between them and by offering opportunities to benefit from
supportive feedback.

Keynote Speaker:  We are very pleased to announce Alice MacLachlan,
from York University, as our Keynote speaker.  MacLachlan’s
philosophical work is insightful and compelling. She specializes in
feminist approaches to ethics, especially virtue ethics and moral
psychology, and in social and political philosophy. Her current
research focuses on forgiveness, reconciliation, reparation and
apology, as well as the philosophy of Hannah Arendt.  She also has
interests in the politics of sexuality.

We invite submissions, in any area of philosophy, that have been
influenced by your feminist commitments, broadly construed.
Presenters will have 30-35 minutes to speak, followed by a 10 minute
commentary and a 25-30 minute discussion period.  Papers should be
approximately 4000 words.  Please include an abstract with your
submission of no more then 200 words.

We also invite proposals for a panel discussion.  Three panelists will
have 15 minutes to speak followed by a 45 minute discussion period.
Proposals should center on the theme of ‘new feminisms’.  Topics may
include but are not limited to:

Feminist analysis of information sharing systems and new technologies;
Feminism’s relevance or lack thereof to young women;
Analysis of the social consequences of genetic or biomedical research
and treatment;
Areas of traditional philosophic inquiry that feminists may have
overlooked;
A discussion of a recent work or emerging political concern;
Developing interactions between theorists from different cultures;
Practices disruptive to oppressive norms related to ability, race,
sexuality or gender, etc.

Proposals should be 500 words detailing the main points of your
presentation.  You may apply as an individual or as a group of
presenters.

There will be an outdoor fireside discussion on Saturday night,
weather permitting, on the practical challenges and rewards of
bringing your political commitments into your philosophy.  Presenters
should come prepared to discuss their own experiences.  Conference
attendees are encouraged to participate.  Have you tried to use
personal narratives in your research?  Do your political commitments
clash with your philosophical commitments?  Do you wonder whether
feminism is relevant to your research if it is not overtly political?

Finally, this conference is meant to be fun and productive!  Come out,
meet your future colleagues, learn and relax a little.

SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: June 15

Please send your submissions electronically to [log in to unmask]
All papers will be evaluated by blind review; identifying information
should appear in a cover letter only.

Visit our facebook group “Diotima” for further information and
conference updates.

Carolyn McLeod
Associate Professor and Graduate Chair
Department of Philosophy