FEAST Mentoring Program details:

Eligibility: Participation is limited to members who have paid their annual dues.  Mentees must be enrolled graduate students.  Mentors must be tenured (given the constraints and pressures of pre-tenure existence).

Application process: Graduate students who would like to apply should put together an application package to be sent to the graduate student representative ([log in to unmask]).  Applications should consist of a CV, 1000 word writing sample in the area of interest, and a separate 1 page explanation of interests and mentoring goals. APPLICATION DEADLINE: for 2008-2009 is OCTOBER 15th.

Volunteer process:  This is a volunteer system.  Faculty members who are interested in participating in the mentoring program should send a short email to the graduate student representative ([log in to unmask]).  The email should include areas of work and projects of interest. Additional information regarding goals or time limitations is welcome; it may aid in the matching process.  There is no deadline for faculty volunteers.

Matching: Mentor and mentee will be coupled according to similarities of work interests and expectations.

Formal expectations: Given that this is a wholly voluntary system, there are no formal requirements.

Informal guidelines:  There are a few guidelines that we would like to suggest in order for the program to be consistent for all of its participants.  Here is a short list of ideas that the steering committee has put together:

  1. There should be a commitment-free trial period of about three months where either party may exit the partnership for any reason.
  2. Exchanges between partners need not extend beyond email.  Other forms of communication are certainly permissible but many prefer limiting their communications to email.
  3. We request that exchanges take place within a timely fashion.  Both graduate students and faculty members have a full load of work.  If one partner sends a question or sends comments on work then the other should do his or her best to reply within a reasonable time frame.  We all recognize that issues such as paper grading or conference deadlines can cut into our other activities so all one need do is simply inform the other of the priority and try to give a projected time for a follow-up.
  4. Mentoring content might include the following: questions about projects, conferences, publication, job interviews, and CV; abstract reviews; idea "bouncing"; suggestions for reading; etc.  While draft review is certainly encouraged, mentors should not be expected to review full drafts.  However, if both partners feel that this is appropriate then feel free!  Mentees should be aware that they should send only polished (rather than rough) drafts to their mentor.
  5. Any and all other components of the mentor/mentee are open to creative construction!

Please pay up on your dues (graduate students!), recruit new members, and consider taking advantage of what I hope will be a long lasting addition to FEAST.

Shay Welch

FEAST Graduate Student Representative