1) You do have to use the dual lock 'velcro' like material where the X marks are. Remember that out tournament the tables will be set up the same way. So you want your robot to interact with the table and mission pieces much like would happen at tournament.
WARNING BEACONS - Required Condition: Warning beacons need to be upright (square to the mat).
Value: 10 points each.
ALSO: Warning beacons are the touch penalty objects for the Smart Move Robot Game. This means each time you touch your vehicle while it’s completely out of Base, the referee removes one upright beacon. The beacons are removed in order from south to north, then from west to east. If there are no upright beacons at the time of the touch, there is no penalty.
Teams routinely come to the tournament with a strategy of picking up the robot and bringing it back to base. Given 2.5 minutes at the table, and the problems wih returning to base consistently form the far end of the table, it may be a good strategy for the team to be able to pick up the robot. However ou should read the rules carelfully for certain circumstances. For example picking up a loop and returning it to base. The loop points may not count if you pick the robot up with loops attached, as the means of returing the robot to base. Besure to read all the rules, mission descriptions and Q/A that form the oficial body of rules for scoring.
For example: 21 - Active Robot Touched COMPLETELY Out Of Base
If the robot and every object in its strategic control are completely out of Base…
- a “touch penalty object” is taken out of play if one is available, as described in the missions.
- objects that were with the robot the last time it left Base go to Base, for scoring or continued use.
- objects that were not with the robot the last time it left Base are taken out of play (may not be used again).
Hope this helps
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Mulcahy" <[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, October 26, 2009 11:48:55 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [VADCFLL-L] velcro
Hello all! I had a few questions about the map and robot.
1) Do you have to velcro the objects in the playing field where there is a "X" or is velcro optional? If so, can you velcro objects at your discretion?
2) What is the penalty amount for picking up a functional robot and putting it back into base?
3rd Grade Teacher
J.W. Alvey Elementary
To UNSUBSCRIBE or CHANGE your settings, please visit
and select "Join or leave the list".
VADCFLL administrative announcements are sent via VADCFLL-ADMIN-L. Visit https://listserv.jmu.edu/archives/vadcfll-admin-l.html