Please see the note below regarding a Jr.FLL Expo to be held in DC on November 7.

Cheers,

Brittany

--
Brittany Rose
Virginia/DC FIRST LEGO League

To VA/DC Jr.FLL Mentors and Teams:

I have some great news! We have a set date on a Jr.FLL Expo in the District of Columbia!

On Saturday, November 7, 2009, Powell Education Campus will host a small JrFLL Expo from 12pm until 2pm. The registration fee for your Jr.FLL team will only be $20. Each participant (up to six per team) will receive a medal and certificate of participation.

Please contact me at [log in to unmask] if you would like your team to participate in this event. We will accommodate up to six teams. Open spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis. Send me your team number, contact information (name and cell phone number) for one adult mentor and the names of your participants in order to prepare certificates. Each team member including mentors, students, and volunteers who plan to attend the event must fill out a consent form and bring a signed copy with them. The consent form is available at http://www.vadcfll.org/2009-2010ConsentForm.pdf.

Schedule (tentative):

12:00 – 12:15      JrFLL Teams Arrive, Check in at Registration and set up their displays, LEGO Play Area

12:15                     Coach's Meeting at Trophy Table (one coach per team)

12:30                     The JrFLL Expo Officially Opens to the Public

12:30 - 1:15         JrFLL Judging and Displays, LEGO Play Area

1:15 – 1:50           Teams Share with Other Teams , LEGO Play Area

1:55                        JrFLL Teams line-up to prepare for Celebration Ceremony

2:00                        Celebration Ceremony during the FLL Closing Program

At conclusion of ceremony,  take down JrFLL displays and clean up

Food:

Lunch will be available for purchase onsite if you are interested (pizza, snacks, and drinks will be sold by the school as a fundraiser) but you are also welcome to bring your own.  You can also purchase food outside of the school, but time may limit choices.

Parking:

The school playground will be opened to provide parking for teams and volunteers. To access the playground, vehicles may enter using the alley entrance off of 13th Street NW or the alley entrance off of Taylor Street NW.  Please note that the Georgia-Petworth Metro Station is within walking distance of the school.

FIRST Consent/Release Form:

Coaches are responsible for ensuring that each team member, mentor and coach submits to the coach a release form (signed by the team member’s parent/guardian).  Coaches must bring a copy of the signed release forms to leave at the Jr.FLL Expo registration desk. Form is available for download at http://www.vadcfll.org/2009-2010ConsentForm.pdf.

Team Registration Fee:

The Jr.FLL Expo fee will be $20.00.  Only cash, checks or purchase orders from VA or DC schools will be accepted (checks are preferred).  Please make checks payable to “Virginia/DC FIRST LEGO League” and be sure to write your Jr.FLL team number(s) on your check.

What to Bring:

•      LEGO Model

•      Show Me Poster

•      Items to trade with other teams such as pins, stickers, etc. (optional)

Please let me know if you all have any questions or concerns or need clarification on anything listed here.  I will be sending an additional update when we get closer to the event and details have been worked out with the site.  Thanks, and see you all on the 7th!

Take care,

Denise M. Lewis

FIRST Assistant Regional Director - District of Columbia

FIRST Senior Mentor - District of Columbia

For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology

Email: [log in to unmask]

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/denise.m.lewis1

Twitter: http://twitter.com/dmlewisfirst

LinkedIn:  http://www.linkedin.com/in/denisemlewis1