Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 12:19:46 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Newly translated unabridged edition of Simone de Beauvoir, The Second Sex
To: [log in to unmask]

Hello, All,

In case you didn't know, Knopf has now published an edition of a new translation of The Second Sex.  Originally released in the UK last year, it has been available here since April 13.

Scholars, such as Margaret Simons and Toril Moi, have called for a new translation for ... decades.  The translators acknowledge their assistance, as well as that of Anne-Solange Noble of Editions Gallimard, Ellah Allfrey of Jonathan Cape (in the UK) and many others in making the translation possible and a reality.

We all owe the feminist scholars who have struggled to have this book retranslated a debt of gratitude; to them all, I say thank you!

I've just picked up a copy and I'm delighted to rediscover this text again, without having to keep Moi's essay "While We Wait..." at my side!

Best regards,
Joan Tronto

Joan C. Tronto
Professor of Political Science