From Laura Baich ([log in to unmask])

Indiana University Press is pleased to announce the recent publication of:

Natality and Finitude

Anne O'Byrne

"An extraordinary book, beautifully written, well argued." —Peg Birmingham, DePaul University

Philosophers are accustomed to thinking about human existence as finite and deathbound. Anne O'Byrne focuses instead on birth as a way to make sense of being alive. Building on the work of Heidegger, Dilthey, Arendt, and Nancy, O'Byrne discusses how the world becomes ours and how meaning emerges from our relations to generations past and to come. Themes such as creation, time, inheritance, birth and action, embodiment, biological determinism, and cloning anchor this sensitive and powerful analysis. O'Byrne's thinking advances and deepens important discussions at the intersections of feminism, continental philosophy, philosophy of religion, and social and political thought.

Studies in Continental Thought

218 pp.

cloth 978-0-253-35531-7 $65.00

paper 978-0-253-22241-1 $22.95

For more information visit:

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/product_info.php?isbn=978-0-253-22241-1

For Instructors:

If you are interested in adopting this book for course use, please see our exam copy policy:

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/information.php?info_id=122&meid=122

Dr. Andrea Veltman
Assistant Professor of Philosophy
Department of Philosophy & Religion