Hi Gina,

I met you and your son at the expo.

I started a parent run lego after school program 3 years ago and have worked with a large group of K-3rd graders each year. We have participated in Jr. FLL (6-9 years of age) the last two years, last year with 3 teams, and this year with one team. Our first year we built purchase lego technic sets with motors, they were a big hit. We did not participate in Jr. FLL at all, but mimicked the format with a poster and display at our school science fair.

The first thing you should know is that there are costs involved. Some estimates of the basic costs for a team of up to six children includes:

registration for first $25
registration for each expo $25 - $30
lego supplies at least $300 (there are kits to purchase to make it easy, also, additional legos are needed for the model)

A couple other suggestions:

1 - There are camps available for your son to get involved, check out St. Christopher and Benedictine High School which both have summer offerings. I am sure there are others.

2 - there are lego models you can purchase which your son can build to use a motor. they are under technic motor functions. one such model is the dump truck #8052. We used sets similar to these our first year where we built a ferris wheel and a crane using sets from Lego education web site.

Good luck!

Cheryl