Dear colleagues,

I know that many folks are going to be at the FEAST conference, but for those who were unable to get to IL, I wanted to remind folks that this year's California Roundtable on Philosophy and Race is happening the same weekend in Boston. Professor Linda Martín Alcoff of Hunter College is our keynote speaker this year!

If you're living near Boston or NYC, it would be great if you could come and join us! And if you can help us publicize it by sending it to your listservs and colleagues who can't make it to FEAST this year, that would be very helpful also. Many thanks!

Below is the updated program. For more information, please go to the website: www.caroundtable.webs.com

California Roundtable

on Philosophy and Race

September 23-24, 2011

University of Massachusetts, Boston

Schedule

(All Panels will be held in Ryan Lounge, MacCormack Building, 3rd Floor)

Friday, September 23, 2011

Session I. 10:30 am-12:30 pm

Chair: Jose Jorge Mendoza, University of Oregon

10:30 am Michael Monahan, Marquette University, “Privilege, Scarcity, and Oppression"

11:30 am Catherine Kendig, Missouri Western State University, “Race as a Physiosocial Phenomenon”

12:30-2:00 pm Lunch

Session II. 2:00-4:00 pm

Chair: Darrell Moore, DePaul University

2:00 pm Nana Adusei-Poku, Humboldt University, Berlin, “Gazes And The Unbranded”

3:00 pm Robin James, UNC Charlotte, “Sound & Sensibility: Theorizing Race Beyond the Visual”

4:00-4:30 Break

Keynote. 4:30-6:00 pm

Chair: Mickaella Perina, University of Massachusetts, Boston

Professor Linda Martín Alcoff, Hunter College, "The Future of Whiteness"

Saturday, September 24, 2011

 Session IV. 10:30-12:30 pm

Chair: Devonya Havis, Canisius College

10:30 am Helen Ngo, Stony Brook University, “The Problem with Levinas' Other”
11:30 am Sunera Thobani, University of British Columbia, “The Race of Sovereignty: Bare Life, Empire and States of Exception"

 Session V. 2:00-3:00 pm

Chair: Lisa McLeod, Guildford College

2:00 pm Jessica Otto, SUNY Buffalo,"When is Racism Really Racism: A Critical Examination of J. Angelo Corlett's Theory of Racism"

3:00 pm: Bart van Leeuwen, Radboud University Nijmegen (The Netherlands), “Urban Civility or Urban Community?  A False Opposition in Richard Sennett’s Conception of Public Ethos”

--
Falguni A. Sheth, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Philosophy

http://helios.hampshire.edu/~fasHA