Dear FEAST colleagues,

I'm forwarding the CFP for the 25th Annual Society for Disability Studies
(SDS) conference. It's a good place to find out the latest in Disability
Studies perspectives, and to offer philosophical perspectives, as
philosophers are under-represented in this group.  It's also the most
accessible conference I've ever attended, and provides a model of "best
practices" for universal access.  On a personal note, my highlight is
always the Saturday night dance - a memorable and fabulous event where
people move, celebrate, and connect in amazing ways.

Best,
Sophia

P.S. I am not involved with the conference organizing.  For more
information, contact Allison Carey at [log in to unmask] or Michael Rembis at

 Hi all. The Submission System for the 25th Annual SDS Conference is now
open, and will remain open until December 1st, 2011. We look forward to
seeing many great submissions!

The call is pasted below. You may also see it on the SDS webpage with a
link to the submission system, at
http://disstudies.org/annual-conference/2012cfp. ****

To go directly to the submission instructions and system, go to
http://disstudies.org/annual-conference/2012cfp/2012-conference-call-for-proposals.

On the instructions page, you will find general instructions, dowloadable
templates in Word to assist you in preparing your submission, and on the
bottom links to enter the submission system for each type of session.  The
Word templates are just a resource for you in developing your submissions.
All submissions should be entered through the electronic submission system.
If you have any questions regarding the CFP, the content of your
submission, or the rules related to submissions please email myself at
[log in to unmask] and/or Mike Rembis at [log in to unmask] If you have any
technological difficulties in the submission process, please email
[log in to unmask] If there are access issues with the system and/or regarding
the submission process, please contact [log in to unmask]

We look forward to a terrific conference!****

Allison Carey and Mike Rembis****

Program Co-Chairs, 2012 SDS Annual Conference****

** **

Call for Proposals****

Society for Disability Studies****

25th Annual Conference****

Denver, Colorado****

June 20-23, 2012****

 ****

Collaborations, Cultures, and Communities****

 ****

Submission system will open November 1, 2011 at www.disstudies.org Deadline
for submissions: December 1, 2011****

The complete call and instructions can also be found at www.disstudies.org.
** **

The terms collaborations, cultures, and communities express many meanings
on many different levels, ranging from the most intimate personal and
familial relations to the broadest global and virtual arrangements.  With
this year's theme, we seek to challenge potential presenters to explore the
rich and varied ways in which people with disabilities are shaped by and in
turn form their own collaborations, communities, and cultures.  At the same
time, we must also be mindful of the ways in which the larger, nondisabled
population has -- through common, dominant cultures and collaborations of
power -- worked both to exclude and to include disabled people in community
and cultural formation and development. In addition, we hope presenters
will explore the ways in which disabled people themselves have sometimes
restricted access to their own communities and cultures and worked to form
limited collaborations with one another. We believe that this is a time for
members of SDS to consider the many ways in which we might strengthen our
communities and express our dynamic cultures by recognizing not only our
many commonalities, but also our tremendous and incredibly valuable
diversity. Our hope is that this year's theme will encourage members to
foster spaces that value diverse expressions and analyses of class, race,
gender, sexuality, sub-culture and national status within SDS and the
broader communities of people with disabilities.****

We offer the following broad questions to foster interdisciplinary
perspectives and encourage interdisciplinary collaboration:****

* What are the many ways in which disabled people have conceptualized and
enacted culture, community, and collaboration? What barriers have people
with disabilities faced? How have these things changed over time?****

* How have various technologies--and access to them--shaped the formation
of collaborations, cultures, and communities?****

* In what ways are community formation, cultural production, and
collaboration bounded or shaped by geographic location, institutional
formation, identity politics, and other factors?****

* How have coalitional politics shaped momentum or barriers in disability
activism?****

* How does enduring poverty, racism, sexism, and the persistence of the
medical model shape / limit access to opportunities for community
formation, cultural production, and collaboration? How do these factors
also open possibilities? How have these factors enhanced disability rights?*
***

* How have the various disciplines within disability studies explored and
analyzed community, culture, and collaboration? What are the strengths and
weaknesses of these approaches?****

* How have/might the various disciplines and fields within disability
studies work across disciplinary boundaries to enhance the products we
create?****

* How have/might scholars, activists, artists, service providers, and
others collaborate for the benefit of disability studies and the larger
society? What factors inhibit such collaborations?****

* How have/might disability studies reach out to local and national
organizations and institutions to influence families, religious
communities, service providers, political institutions, employers, etc.****

* How does a focus on collaboration, community and culture influence
research methods, theory, and the underpinnings of disability scholarship
and practice?****

We welcome proposals in all areas of disability studies, especially those
submissions premised on this year's theme.****

Rembis at [log in to unmask] . ****