Does anyone know of a good (short) reading/study on the loss of idealism in college students?  I am teaching a freshman seminar this term and would like to confront them at the end of term with some data on the likelihood that they will "grow out of" their current idealism and commitment to working for social change.  (My hope is that by viewing the statistics, this will help them to understand what they are up against and affirm them in their resolve to make a difference.)

Thanks for your help,
Gina

Gina Helfrich, Ph.D.
Director, Harvard College Women's Center
Canaday Hall "B" Entry
Cambridge, MA 02138
http://hcwc.fas.harvard.edu
617-496-2029