In the context of the present academic situation all of our responses are going to necessarily be ambiguous. I think that Public Philosophy is important and applaud all who have been at the forefront of organizing and nourishing the Public Philosophy Network. So it is with sincere apologies that I point out that responding to the crisis by making philosophy public and practical is still responding within the framework that has been developed institutionally as the university has corporotized. This framework has been identified and analyzed for more than a decade (a short bibliography below). Among its characterisitcs is the demand that the university be "productive" in the standard capitalist sense. Since (in addition to teaching which places it in the "service" sector) the academe is in the knowledge business, the measures of productivity include the transfer of the knowledge and its uses. Practical and public philosophical knowledge can meet this measure of productivity.

This does not mean that resistance is impossible. But, it seems to me, that we need to figure out some of its goals. At the level of naked self-centered interest - our jobs are on the line. We can be "downsized" just as workers in other industries have been. This is what they tried to do in Nevada (where the department is attempting to save itself by becoming practical and developed an ethics, law and politics interdisciplinary degree, Binghamton's bread and butter for a long time (our program is Philosophy, Politics, and Law and it goes back to the beginnings of law and society programs, which are usually dominated by the social sciences). This is what they succeeded doing elsewhere (see Middlesex University, where the justification was low undergraduate enrollments and the program was closed, though most of it got relocated). But assuming that saving our jobs is not our only motivation, I would like to suggest that we remain unconvincingly old-fashioned and committed to the crucial role that philosophy and the humanities have in a democracy.

For me this does not mean that we reorient what we do (which we will anyway to respond to the crisis) but that as we do so, we worry seriously about equality and especially about class. The humanities (including philosophy) will survive longer in ivy and ivy like privates because they are still the mark of having the right kind of upper class education (connected to a sense of leisure, the obligations of philanthropy to the arts, and of course and the like). The humanities are most threatened at present in public institutions. And there are gradations here too and state specific  and within states system specific problems (all of SUNY, for example, is shifting its financial orientation toward STEM and within it a focus on "health"). I do not know how to translate this worry into practices either for the purpose of knowledge production or teaching. I hope that maybe as this conversation thread develops, we will find some interesting ideas we can try out.

Bibliography

Donghue, Mark. 2008. The Last Professors: The Corporate University and the Fate of the Humanities. Fordham University.
Kirp, David et al. 2003. Shakespeare, Einstein and the Bottom Line: The Marketing of Higher
Education
. Harvard University Press.
Martin, Randy. Ed. 1998. Chalk Lines: The Politics of Work in the Managed University. Duke University Press.
Slaughter, Sheila and Garry Rhoades. 2004. Academic Capitalism and the New Economy. John Hopkins University Press.
Tuchman, Gaye. 2009. Wannabe U: Inside the Corporate University. University of Chicago Press.

Bat-Ami Bar On
Professor of Philosophy and Women's Studies
Director of the Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities
Chair, Judaic Studies
Binghamton University
Binghamton, NY 13902-6000

http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~ami