Dear FEASTers,

Here's some interesting reading for those of us who have students with mental illness, which means probably all of us.  Just this week I've had a student re-appear after six weeks of absence without a word, with all the missing assignments in hand.  Do I give him the F he has according to the syllabus or make an adjustment given that he tells me he had psychological problems that kept him from sleeping and working during those six weeks?  Since he hasn't spoken to a therapist yet, he has no documentation, yet I believe him - he was an A student until the day he stopped attending class.

http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2011/12/13/colleges-accommodation/14638/

Would love ideas from those of you with more experience and insight into this...

Best,
Sophia
Sophia Wong
Associate Professor of Philosophy