To: FEAST
From: Rita Manning (written by Marti's sister, Jane, and Elise Peeples )

Remembering Marti Kheel:

This past July Marti collapsed in an elevator in NYC. She was diagnosed with leukemia and was at death's door. She had to undergo 6 weeks of chemo or die right then and there. After that she left the hospital to pursue alternatives (the western doctors gave her under two years to live even if she stayed on chemo the whole time.)

She moved into an apartment in a medical tower next to the hospital and her sister Jane moved in with her to help care for her. I was able to visit her in Sept and do some sound healing work with her (I play didgeridoo and we went to Central Park every day to be in nature and work with sound. I feel so fortunate to have been able to spend time with her.

She passed away in her sleep Saturday morning 11/20/2011.

Since then, in all the many circles she traveled--  those concerned with animal rights, feminism, vegetarianism and health issues, as well as her more recent  Smartmeter community--  there has been such an outpouring of loving tributes for my activist sister, more than I expected or conceived, although I knew she had many friends. There is now a Wiki article on her, although I still don’t know who began it.http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marti_Kheel . There have been heart-warming tributes from fellow travelers, such as the collective piece compiled by Carol Adams http://caroljadams.blogspot.com/2011/11/marti-kheel-collective-tribute.html, and the article in Our Hen House. http://www.ourhenhouse.org/2011/11/remembering-marti-kheel-my-hope-is-that-we-can-ultimately-find-the-common-ground-that-will-bring-us-together-in-our-efforts/. There has been a request by a major library for her papers and an announcement of an academic conference in her name. And there have been countless, moving words from so many of you in messages on CaringBridge and in letters and emails to her family.
Thank you all. On her behalf. Since she can speak no longer.
I am writing now to tell you that we have dates for the Memorials on the East and West Coasts. There will be a gathering of her friends on March 11 at the Hillside Club in Berkeley, and a gathering on the East Coast at the Roosevelt House in New York City on April 1. I will share more details on CaringBridge as the dates approach. Both events are still in the planning, and your input is more than welcome. Among other things, we would be pleased to receive additional photos or video clips any of you may have of Marti, to ensure that all aspects of her life are represented. In the meantime, I have posted three new photos of her in earlier years, for those who knew her then.

--
Ann Garry

http://www.calstatela.edu/faculty/agarry/