Dear philosophers of the South,

I am hosting the Georgia Philosophical conference at Spelman this
semester.  I need you assistance, if you can.  Let me explain:

Last semester I attended the Fall conference.  Over the course of the day,
I was the only female faculty member in attendance.  One female grad
student dropped by for a talk.  The only other women there were my students
(and a lot of them too!).  The only faculty or grad student of color there
was a faculty member of a college in North Carolina, who was visiting
Atlanta at the time.  The only other people of color there were, again, my
students.  All presenters were white males.

As you can imagine, my students were very aware of this lack of
representation.  I had to have a serious chat with my students about the
climate of philosophy.  I also explained to them that the lack of
marginalized folks present is often times not a lack of interest, but
rather a lack of feeling welcome or invited, given the repeated absence of
such members at conferences.

When I was asked to host the Spring meeting, I agreed.  BUT I put my foot
down.  I insisted that there was no way I would allow this problem to occur
on the Spelman campus.  I made three stipulations: 1) there is not to be
only white male presenters 2) they need to reach out to marginalized
philosophers and 3) they need to include a variety of branches since the
conference is open topic.  I've made it very clear, and I have also told my
chair, that should the program come out and fail to include a range of
philosophers, that I will cancel the conference by revoking the use of our
facilities.  Now, given that I'm committed to pursuing diversity in
philosophy and I'm making these stipulations, it becomes partially my
responsibility to try to bring folks in and together.

When I brought up these problems, it was embedded in the discussion that it
wasn't the organization's fault if Others didn't want to attend.  (That was
how it sounded to me.)  Now, the person I have been communicating with is
most certainly female-friendly.  However, even the most female-friendly
colleagues can miss the most obvious underlying problems that we, as women
and philosophers of color, have been pointing to for quite some time.

This is where you all come in.  If you are in or near Georgia and have a
conference paper lying around, PLEASE submit it to the call for papers.  If
you are in or near Georgia and do not have a paper ready, PLEASE consider
attending the meeting.  I am forwarding the call for paper and it is
attached to this email.

We have all been fighting against and trying to correct the problem of all
male speaker lists as of late.  Please help me in my goal of preventing
another conference of this sort.  Please help me make this conference,
which is being held at an all-women's HBCU, a success.

If you have any questions, please contact me.  Also, let's keep this
between us.  I'm already rocking the boat enough.

(Please note the inclusion of undergrads.  I was in a group discussion and
told them that I reserved an auditorium because my students would be
there.  One of the members tried to object to the inclusion of undergrads
because the material would "go over their heads".  I lost my tempter-
Spelman is a liberal arts college and has only undergrads.  This would
implicitly entail holding the conference on the Spelman campus but exclude
its students!  I made it very clear that it is my job to introduce my
students to philosophy in action.  So I'm glad to see that the tone is much
more welcoming.)

Call for papers:

I’ve attached the program for the March 24th meeting of the Georgia
Philosophical Society at Spelman College.  Please circulate the attachment
to interested parties.

If you are receiving this material in error, please let me know how to
contact interested persons so that information about the Georgia
Philosophical Society can reach them.

We have had very poor attendance at recent meetings.  The officers of the
society believe that Georgia Philosophical Society is an important society
that needs the support of philosophers in Georgia.  Please encourage your
colleagues and your students to attend.  The society’s meeting would give
grad students and even undergrad students a sense of one of the things that
professional philosophers engage in.  You might even want to arrange for
transportation for your students.  And of course, please attend yourself .

Thank you,
Raymond Woller
Secretary, Georgia Phil

--