Sally, that was an optional donation page, not a payment page.  It says at
the top when you see it that your signature has already been recorded.  It
is annoying though that they try to suggest, graphically, that a donation
is de rigueur.

In any case, more importantly, the article is appalling both in its
ignorant and hateful content and in the ethics of attacking grad students.
 I am very glad the petition is circulating and really disappointed in CHE
for publishing such a thing.  Thanks to Shay for bringing it to my
attention.