Greetings ~

Over the next two weeks, The Feminist Wire will host a Forum on Black (Academic) Women's Health. During this time period, The Feminist Wire will publish multiple articles daily, which tackle and address the topic of this Forum from a wide range of perspectives and experiences.

http://thefeministwire.com

In the introductory post, "Black (Academic) Women's Health: To Be In Context," Tressie McMillan writes

"...Early in the editorial process I asked the editorial team if we should frame “health” in our call for papers on the subject of Black women academics’ health. I was afraid the broadness of the term would stymie the responses we received. I could not have been more wrong (and Tamura more right). The response was overwhelming. We received autoethnographies, empirical findings, creative narratives, and essays. Their respective authors told of notebooks cataloging years of mic
 roaggressions in an almost obsessive bid to control the uncontrollable. Graduate students spoke of the symbolic violence enacted daily in classrooms where they are asked to leave critical parts of themselves behind in order that they be remade and “professionalized.” There were stories upon stories about the physical manifestations of emotional and psychic pain: cancer, fibroids, breakouts, and breakdowns. And there were the stories of the mental anguish whose refusal to be made corporal exacerbates the pain by minimizing its social importance..." ~

http://thefeministwire.com/2012/10/black-academic-womens-health-to-be-in-context/

http://thefeministwire.com

In Peace,
Aishah

--
http://NOtheRapeDocumentary.org
http://AfroLez.Tumblr.com

"(We are) caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly..." Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (1963 Birmingham, Alabama campaign)

"There is no coming to consciousness without pain" -- Carl Gustav Jung

"Develop the mind of equilibrium. You will always be getting praise and blame, but do not let either affect the poise of the mind: follow the calmness, the absence of pride." -- Sutta Nipata

"By amending our mistakes, we get wisdom. By defending our faults, we betray an unsound mind." --The Sutra of Hui Neng