From: Lynne Tirrell <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:04 PM
Subject: Re: Call for action: Please list your work!

Thanks Shay and Ann and Alison for very helpful posts. I think a lot of people do not understand how very inclusive PhilPapers is. YOU are in control of your profile and the listings for your papers. If your work isn't there, just load it up.

PLEASE:
*make a PROFILE. This is really easy, and allows you and others a one-stop place to see your work. (When you are done, do the same on Academia.edu, which gets your work out to other disciplines as well. That's a whole different enterprise, but worth looking into.)

*upload your BIBILIOGRAPHY: ALL OF IT (unless some is not philosophy at all).

*upload ABSTRACTS for your papers: this is important. The abstract really helps get attention for your work and helps the PhilPapers editors with categorizing.

*CATEGORIZE your own papers. More on this below. You don't need to depend on us to do it, and you will likely do a better and more complete job because you know your paper best. If your paper is on feminist reproductive ethics, for example, you should not only tag it as feminist ethics, and reproductive ethics (a leaf area of Philosophy of Sexuality that is edited by Ruchika Mishra) but also put it in BioEthics. (Look at the mainstream categories too.)

The main PhilPapers  categorizing criterion is this: that the category should be a major focus of the work in question. (So a brief mention of a philosopher doesn't warrant adding that philosopher's category to your categories.) In general, you want the paper's top 1-3 areas to be the category terms.

Where I'm coming from:  I'm the Area Editor for Philosophy of Gender, Race, and Sexuality, which has Feminism as a "Middle"  area and Feminist Ethics as a "leaf" area. Many of you work in multiple areas within this very broad category that I edit. My job, at the broadest part of this network, is to take the articles that land on my desk and farm them over to the Feminist Philosophy editors (Bailey and Garry) &/or the Philosophy of Gender editor (Currently open) &/or the Philosophy of Sexuality editor (Benjamin Smart), &/or the Philosophy of Sexual Orientation editor (Christopher D. Horvath ) &/or the Philosophy of Race editor (open, but David Miguel Gray is doing many of the leaf areas).

As you might guess, many papers come in that have feet in more than one area. I tag (categorize) them as belonging in these middle areas so that they land on the desks of those editors. I also try to find other category topics to tag the papers with so that they correctly appear in multiple places within PhilPapers. So a feminist paper often will have category terms outside the Gender, Race, Sexuality Area, because it is also metaphysics or ethics or phil law or whatever. This categorizing is very important, but if you leave it to us, we just won't be able to do as good a job as you can. We'll try, of course, but you know the intersections of your work better than anyone, and the categories are supposed to help get people from one or another of these intersections to find your work.

Inclusion: There is no intent to leave anyone out of PhilPapers, in fact, we actively go out looking for recent publications. The project also went back and loaded past journals.  Journals upload new issues, Hypatia does, for example, but as Ann Garry pointed out, papers published in books tend not to be uploaded by the publisher. Load yours! Categorize them! Add the abstract right away. If the publication didn't require an abstract, write one. It will get your paper more attention, truly, or at least help get it to the people who need or want to learn about your topic.

Also, those of you editing books: upload the papers within your books. This will get your book more attention too. Maybe you can pressure the publisher to load this info onto PhilPapers as a matter of future practice.

There are openings for editors, especially for leaf categories, so look over this page and see if there's a spot for which you'd like to apply. http://philpapers.org/browse/philosophy-of-gender-race-and-sexuality
Here's what PhilPapers says about applying:
Applications to be a category editor can be lodged from a category's main page. When no editor has been assigned to a category, an application link will be present on the category page. When an editor has been assigned, the editors' name will be present instead. After an editor steps down, the application link will be reintroduced.
Easy! And really, to get the job, you just need publications within the area. So please think about it.

Lynne

Lynne Tirrell
Associate Professor of Philosophy
U Mass Boston