I start my feminist theory/philosophy class with Gloria AnzaldĂșa's "La Conciencia de la Mestiza" from Borderlands/La Frontera.  We read it together in the first class and then discuss it. It's not an overview, but it is short, brilliant, provocative, accessible, a model of intersectionality and contextuality from the get-go with which to frame the class (after that we take a historical approach, back to Wollstonecraft, thence to De Beauvoir, Marxism, Structuralism, Black Feminism, etc. before going on to some themes). Students respond really well to it.

Best,
Emma

----- Original message -----
From: "Welsh, Talia" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: introductory essay on feminist theory/philosophy recommendations
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 16:12:05 +0000

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had success providing lower-level feminist theory students with an introductory piece on "what is feminism/feminist theory/philosophy?" and if so, what piece you might recommend.

I teach a wide range of majors in an upper-level Feminist Theory undergraduate course at a state university. My students tend to be motivated but do not necessarily possess any background in philosophy or theory.

Thanks in advance,

Talia

Dr. T.L. Welsh
Associate U.C. Foundation Professor
Department of Philosophy & Religion #2753
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 Mc Callie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Tel: 423-425-4318