In my Philosophy & Feminism class in Spring 2013, I had amazing success with the following three readings:

Bartky, S. 1990. "Toward a Phenomenology of Feminist Consciousness." In Femininity and Domination: Studies in the Phenomenology of Oppression. New York & London: Routledge, pp. 11-21.

De Beauvoir, S. 1952/2005. Excerpt from The Second Sex. Reprinted in Ann E. Cudd and Robin O. Andreasen (eds), Feminist Theory: A Philosophical Anthology. Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing, pp. 27-36

Lloyd, G. 1979. "The Man of Reason," Metaphilosophy 10: 18-37.

My strategy, tried for the first time in this offering, was to get some 'big' questions and issues on the table right up front, with the promise that details would be unpacked as we proceeded. The students ate these papers up, and kept returning to them in class discussion and in their papers throughout the semester. We covered this material initially over four 75 minute class periods.

Sue Dwyer

Susan Dwyer
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy