Hello,

Thanks for all the great responses. I’ve listed a summary here below for those that are interested. I’ve taught this course in a number of different variations over a decade and given the wide range of students I get in this course perhaps some kind of introduction that would frame the course (instead of my usual historical approach) would be useful. I’ve loved these many suggestions and look forward to considering a different frame for the course.

All the best, Talia

1. The introduction to Nancy Tuana's book, Woman and the History of Philosophy, in which she writes about "reading philosophy as a woman," and she argues that this is possible for men and women to do.  The men in my class really connected with this just as much as the women.

2. Susan Sherwin's chapter "Understanding Feminism" from her book, No Longer Patient:  Feminist Ethics and Health Care, to be excellent.  Charlotte Bunch's well known essay, "Not by Degrees:  Feminist Theory and Education" is also a very good piece on the nature of feminist theory.  And Alison Jaggar's first chapter from her classic Feminist Politics and Human Nature.

3. The Encyclopedia of Feminist Theories,  edited by Lorraine Code.  (Routledge, 2000).  Among the many entries are ones on "Feminism," and "Feminist Legal Theory," "Feminist Ethics," "Feminist Epistemology," and “Philosophy."

4. Sally J. Scholz's: Feminism: A Beginner's Guide as one of the texts in my lower level feminist philosophy courses (along with the, unfortunately no-longer-in-print, Feminist Philosophy Reader). Perhaps just the first chapter or two could work for a short reading assignment. In that chapter, Scholz discusses various definitions of feminism (e.g., feminism as a challenge to unjust power dynamics, feminism responding to inequality, etc.). The second chapter surveys various approaches (liberal, Marxist, poststructuralist, etc.).

5.  Drucilla Cornell’s work. The Frye article mentioned, "Sexism," works best if taught with the first article in the book, "Oppression," and in reverse order can be good to try, but always emphasize how interlocked they are -- and do imaginary re-write where obvious improvements to these sturdy texts could be made.

6. George Yancy's edited volume The Center Must Not Hold is good for upper level philosophy students, but I'll be teaching Moira Gatens' Imaginary Bodies: Ethics, Politics and Power.

7.
Gloria Anzaldúa's "La Conciencia de la Mestiza" from Borderlands/La Frontera.  It's not an overview, but it is short, brilliant, provocative, accessible, a model of intersectionality and contextuality from the get-go with which to frame the class…Students respond really well to it.

8. Discussing feminist myths in class and a consciousness-raising session as one of our first class sessions.

9. Sandra Bartky’s chapter on Psychological Oppression from Femininity and Domination.

10. A video called “My Feminism.”

11.The Stanford Encyclopedia online 'Feminist Philosophy' or the Introductory chapters of our text.  I do find though that a session of this open discussion leading to general concepts is a good way to get the group thinking and talking.  Also the 'Looks Philosophical' tumbler site is another good tool for generating discussion about presumptions and stereotypes versus reality.

12. Lindemann's Invitation to Feminist Ethics. Of course, it's focused on value theory, but it's solid. Another oldie but a goodie is the Introduction to Beauvoir's Second Sex—a real classic in many ways.

13. Marilyn Frye's classic paper on "Oppression" or Peggy MacIntosh's paper on white privilege, the first chapter of bell hooks' feminist theory: from margin to center is also good.

14. Sandra Bartky's paper "Toward a Phenomenology of Feminist Consciousness". It is Ch. 1 of Femininity and Domination, but  it was published earlier in  Social Theory & Practice (1976).

15. Bonnie Mann’s "What Should Feminists Do About Nature”http://konturen.uoregon.edu/vol2_Mann.html

16. Jan
et Halley's Split Decisions and Alison Bechdel's Dykes to watch out for

Dr. T.L. Welsh
Associate U.C. Foundation Professor
Department of Philosophy & Religion #2753
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
615 Mc Callie Ave.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Tel: 423-425-4318
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
www.utc.edu/Academic/PhilosophyAndReligion/staff/talia-welsh.php

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had success providing lower-level feminist theory students with an introductory piece on "what is feminism/feminist theory/philosophy?" and if so, what piece you might recommend.

I teach a wide range of majors in an upper-level Feminist Theory undergraduate course at a state university. My students tend to be motivated but do not necessarily possess any background in philosophy or theory.

Thanks in advance,

Talia